August 14, 2014

Flora Focus || Sunflower


























I would love to have an entire patch of sunflowers. The huge kind. The ones that are feet taller than I am and the blooms are as big as my head. One day I will, if the squirrels don't get to them. Could you just imagine getting lost in a field of sunflowers and looking up and seeing nothing but large yellow blooms? Sounds amazing, minus the bugs…

Sunflower
Botanical Name: Helianthus annuus
Flower: Daisy like flower, usually with yellow petals but can also be white, orange, brownish or burgundy. Can be 4-15 inches across. Blooms mid to late summer.
Leaf: Heart shaped leaves with large teeth. Also have bristly hairs. 4-12 inches long.
Meaning: False Riches
When the Spaniards first arrived in Peru in the sixteenth century, they were surprised to see fields of yellow flowers. The same yellow flowers that were made from gold and made into jewelry worn by the Inca Priests who officiated at the Temple of the Sun. Much to the Spaniards surprise these flowers that they saw were not made of gold like the jewelry. False riches.

Sunflowers are also a sign that fall is coming to me. They come up at the same time that corn comes up in the valley. Corn mazes and fall. Who else is more than ready?

xo

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous! I've loved sunflowers since my mom planted a few in our backyard! I have some hilarious photos from when I was young with them towering over me. I loved reading more about these pretty flowers :) And I definitely agree that it's a sign fall is coming!! I can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sunflowers are just so beautiful!!

    xxoo,
    nikki

    www.dream-in-neon.com

    ReplyDelete

Search Pretty Lovely